Tuesday, September 9, 2014

DREAM SIGN

This post is all about making a dream out of a disaster.
Lovely isn't it?  It wasn't always so.  It was born from a disaster.  
I had this fun little cabinet.  I got it at an antique store on sale for $20.00 and it really wasn't that great, but I fell in love with the door on it and used it for years.
I decided to use it in my new coastal themed bedroom, but it was going to have to be prettied up a little first.  I painted it with Annie Sloan Old Ochre Chalk Paint.  Two coats.  It was beautiful.  I gave it two coats of Miss Mustard Seed Clear Wax.  It was gorgeous.  I was buffing out the last coat when my table broke and the whole cabinet came crashing down onto my concrete garage floor.  That beautiful door broke.
I said a lot of swears.  Sam felt bad enough for me that he tried to fix it with some Gorilla Glue and clamps.
I was fearful that it wouldn't hold up to the pulling that a cabinet door would get.  I decided to touch up the damaged paint on the rest of the cabinet and use it without the door.  I couldn't toss the door though because I loved it so.  I decided to make a little sign out of it and maybe something to hang my robe and jammies on.
I had this metal sign that said "Dream" and I wired it onto the front.
I also had this awesome metal seahorse pull that I was going to use on the door anyway, but it was "chippy" and I wanted it bright and clean.  I gave it a coat of spray paint.


So began the bones of this new project.


I taped the edges and gave the border a quick coat of Annie Sloan "Provence".
 Then, I just left it out and stared at it for about 2 weeks.  I tried several things and settled on some beach glass, shells, starfish and glass stones - all attached with my trusty finger-burnin' hot glue gun.
I added a few hooks....in the wrong place, which led to adding a few more shells.  Finally, I was pretty happy with it and mounted it to my walk-in closet door.
I did salvage the rest of that cabinet, but that's a different post coming soon to a computer screen near you.
In the mean time, I'm enjoying my new robe hook/sign.  
Kind of goes with my beachy wreath don't ya think?
I have had a lot of fun making decor for my master bedroom...maybe too much fun.  As soon as I get the mate to my nightstand and paint it, I'll show you the rest.  In the mean time...I'm packing up my craft room and moving everything out of it because I'm getting all of my flooring replaced, except the kitchen.  That's right...all of that beautiful coastal cypress that was installed less than 5 months ago has to be replaced.  Installation failure.  Glad we had professionals do it because I would not want to have to fight that fight with the company myself.  So....replacement won't cost me anything, but can I just tell you what a pain in the butt packing everything up and moving it out is?  It seems like I just did that!  (Oh yeah....it's because I did.)  I know...first world problem, but still.  I can tell you that some swears were said over that issue as well. (My swear jar overfloweth.) Hope it ends as well as my cabinet door disaster.

Linking up to:
center> Photobucket


The Dedicated House

30 comments:

  1. Love your innovative use of the door! It's perfect with the beach theme of the room.

    You are so lucky that you had the floor installed. A friend did his own and had quite a time getting the company to own up to issues with the product. This guy was a long time builder who knew what he was doing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering why you said you were getting a new craft room floor. You only said swear words!?! I would be railing up someone's head. Love the sign born of disaster, thought the cabinet was cool, and glad you saved it for later use.The wreath and the sign look like a perfect marriage. I fear the wreath may change, but maybe you have changed since moving to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I just had my carpet cleaned in the living room & dining room and didn't even have to move the big furniture out and THAT was a pain. I'm sorry for the extra work you're dealing with. However, the disaster created by the excess gravity in your garage turned out fabulous. The whole room is so... serene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! I love your sign!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Danni! You can never have enough hanging space and it goes perfect with the wreath. What a pain in the butt. My swear jar would be full after all of this but aren't you glad you didn't do it yourself? That would be a bigger pain which would lead to a bigger swear jar.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leave it to you to make something useful and pretty out of a disaster! I'm glad that you get to see your little door everyday. How big is your swear jar exactly? It must be HUGE. ;)
    I would be so mad if I had to endure this nasty repacking and moving of all your stuff. I hope heads are rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'LOVE the dream sign! How pretty! Aren't you clever to add hooks?! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  8. great save!! I really like the texture on the wood

    ReplyDelete
  9. My swearjar overfloweth LMHO !!!
    I love your sign Danni - LOVE it -
    Remember when we spoke about how easy this selling our homes and fixing up new ones would be - because we were diy bloggers after all?
    ROTFLMAO !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That swear jar will come in handy over the holidays ;) I'm so sorry about your cabinet but I'm glad Sam patched her up and the door has a beautiful new life. Looks great Danni, very coastal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how sad!!! I can totally understand your disappointment! But can I just say you made something phenomenal out of something broken - way to go Danni! I love what you created :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh fer Pete's! What a massive pain and disruption! I am annoyed and sympathetic in equal parts, poor Danni. Love the rescue project - getting two cute useful pieces from one object is even better than your original idea, no?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to make you put some soap in your mouth for all your swears, but I guess they're justified. I think your sign turned out so pretty, I love that Sam wanted to fix it up for you. Love him. And sad about your floors! What a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry that your door was injured, but it looks like you resuscitated it okay. LOVE the seahorse!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that sign Danni - it would be perfect in my room too! How annoying that you have to move out again to get the floor done! Grrr - but at least when its done its done ! I cant wait to see the rest of the room xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! After all that hard work you did, how frustrating. That chalk paint is a gorgeous color. BUT i love the save! I think it matches the wreath perfectly. And you always you use more hanging storage in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Danni,
    Love your hanging rack out of the door. What a great save! Love it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no... replacing floors? What a pain!!! You did make a lovely hook/sign out of the door disaster. It looks fabulous with the wreath. The seahorse is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are amazing Danni! Love what you did with the broken swear causing door! There's just something about grooves in wood. Paint really makes them pop! I can't wait to see your entire bedroom. The little peeks are so pretty. How's that floor installation going? My new kitchen floor... the black and white diamond pattern.. has 3 creases in it already. Where they folded it to lay it down I guess. Instead of getting better, they seem to be getting worse... I dread calling the place to complain! What do you do???? Bla!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sign is perfect with the wreath! I can't believe you have to move all your furniture AGAIN to get the floors replaced. You would hear my screams, swear words and all, all the way down there if it happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, I'm so sorry that you have to pack everything up an move it to get new flooring put down, even though you already had new flooring. I sure hope this new flooring is a keeper! Your coastal room is really coming along and your dream sign is so CUTE!! What a great salvage by using the broken door, it couldn't be more perfect for the metal DREAM sign.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok I like the dream sign very nice, I wouldn't be too happy about having to move stuff in order to get new flooring but I guess it has to be done

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm impressed you still have time to craft and create with everything you are doing. This project is 'dreamy' :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I couldn't fin the comment button on your most recent post so I came here (and got to see your cute coastal ideas) to comment.

    Loved reading about you at Kris's and I am so glad she featured you because I realized that I hadn't read your blog in a long time so I added you to my blog roll so I won't miss out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahaha! Your swear jar overfloweth! Yep, mine does too...pretty much every day. First of all, I'm totally impressed that you're whipping out those Annie Sloan colors like you've been using them all your life...coming from the woman who was afraid to paint furniture?!? Woohoo!! Love your sign. Major save. =D

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your beachy dream sign and pretty wreath! I shared it on my Google+ page.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely project....I have used Annie Sloan paint and thought it was wonderful! Thanks for linking up to Make It Monday, our new link party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good for you for seeing the opportunity to give it a new life. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the room. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my...I can feel the paint when that came crashing down! It just makes you SICK.....but glad you rallied and made that cute hanger from it! How in the world does a floor installation get done wrong? By professionals? What a shame.....hope the new one is RIGHT and looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are you still worried about quitting smoking? Try Advken Pod kit,Steam Crave Mod and Artery Adapter. There is no secondhand smoke and no impact on health. You can choose the nicotine content according to the schedule and the price is cheap and the quality is guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete